Australian Nanny Association President + Career Nanny, Caela Macilquham It’s been a very exciting year, this one being my first as President. Stepping into the role of the ANA’s first nanny President held special significance for me, signifying a small but meaningful shift towards establishing deeper connections within the nanny community. As a career nanny…
The short answer is simply to support the nanny industry in Australia!
As a professional association, we are a peak voice of the Australian nanny industry. We advocate for nannies, for agencies, and for families requiring in home childcare. We provide services within the industry, and engage with the media and government on key issues.
We are a not-for-profit organisation and the committee is made up entirely of volunteers. We require membership dues simply to cover costs involved in keeping the Australian Nanny Association afloat. We also encourage members to become involved by volunteering to support us in activities we provide within the community.
Why might you join?
- Information. You want to receive accurate and prompt information about the issues you need to be aware of. Better information means you can make better decisions that affect your career or childcare.
- Advocacy. You want your professional interests brought effectively to key stakeholders and government bodies, the insurance industry, media, and any other organisation your and your colleagues encounter in your jobs.
- Public relations. You want an association to actively educate and market to the general public (and referring service providers) on a regular and consistent basis regarding the scope and benefits of professional in home nanny care. You value having an association to speak up in order to counter any negative press that may harm the nanny industry.
- Expansion of opportunities. By investing in research and building alliances, an association can open new doors for you and your colleagues by building credibility and recognition.
- Professional development. You want opportunities to learn from high-calibre experts and voices from relevant specialties at local and national association events.
- Enhance your network and broaden your career. Creating professional relationships is important, and most nannies lack a traditional workplace to meet their peers. Joining a group allows you opportunities to connect with others in your industry, to develop a sense of security and trust. From this, you are able to support and help one another in reaching your professional goals.
The Australian Nanny Association runs numerous events throughout the year, both in-person and virtually. You can participate and work towards all of these goals. You’ll have the opportunity to learn about breaking news in your career, learn “best practices” or new ideas, hear about key achievers in your field, and also meet and network with others who are looking to share and learn new information. You can share ideas, ask for advice, volunteer to be a speaker, or become a member of the committee.
Another benefit of enhancing your network by joining the Australian Nanny Association is that you may find a mentor to help you with your professional needs, or you may be in a position to become a mentor to someone else. Giving back can be the greatest reward. Participating in online and in-person discussions sponsored by the association is also a great way to grow your network. This allows you to use your peers as sounding boards and often make some great friends with the same interests as you.